Re: Alternatives to grub and lilo? was grub2 menu problems

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:18:50 -0400 (EDT), Steve Litt wrote:

> I considered going back to LILO, but it still has no understanding of
> filesystems: It's easy to bork and hard to fix.  Not as hard as Grub 2
> though.

I did switch back from grub2 to lilo, and I'm glad I did.  I actually
like lilo's file-system-agnostic approach.  And these days, with the
kernel and initramfs hooks in place, it's much harder to bork it than
it used to be.  See my lilo web page below for more information:

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

> Is there a simpler bootloader that works with Linux?  I don't want GUI.
> I don't want a framebuffer. I don't want a splash screen. And I don't
> want to wade through seven files to turn those things off. Basically,
> I'd like something like LILO that understands ext4.

The closest thing I know to what you describe above is extlinux.  It is
packaged for Debian by a package of the same name.  You might want to
check it out.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :