Re: apt-get upgrade no service restart

Hi,

Bonno Bloksma wrote:
[...]
> How is it possible that one system will not see the update until last night
> when I have been running the update cycle each night and all my systems use
> the same uplink?

>From the log:

> Preparing to replace libssl1.0.0:amd64 1.0.1e-2+deb7u6 (using
> .../libssl1.0.0_1.0.1e-2+deb7u7_amd64.deb)

You were upgrading to the version that I just released last night - perhaps
the other machines ran apt-get update before it was released so they didn't
see it.

> ---------------------
> Why did the apt-get update NOT restart the services? How can I find out?

Services are never automatically restarted due to library updates, you need to
do that by hand. Some times, restarting services might be proposed.

The message in the log is just libssl1.0.0 checking for services that might
need to be restarted to get the Heartbleed bugfix applied. Had it found any,
it would have proposed you to restart them.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net