Re: Heartbleed (was ... Re: My fellow (Debian) Linux users ...)

On 04/16/2014 11:50 PM green wrote:
Steve Litt wrote at 2014-04-16 13:05 -0500:
I'd feel a lot better with 200 eyes than 4. Even 10 would make me
nervous.

But the fault is partly mine. I never contributed to the OpenSSL
project, either with dollars or eyes.

+1

Steve brings up a very good point, one often overlooked in our zeal for getting so much FOSS for absolutely no cost. Since we're all given the source code, we're all in part responsible for it and for improving it. This ethic should be visited not only on lists like this one, but certainly also in CIS classes and definitely in business and governmental administration courses as well. And right now there is github where over the past couple weeks I've noticed quite a few "projects"-- in fact, the majority of them-- started by one person but with no other contributors. A significant contribution can be as small as improving documentation. As Steve points out, without more involvement from more people, we're probably headed for repeated such calamities.