Re: AMD Graphics on Debian 7.4

On 11/04/14 11:04 PM, ray wrote:
The netinstall did not recognize the HD 7770 card.

The AMD Catalyst notes page states the supported distros to be:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 6.3 and 6.4
SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3
OpenSUSE 11.4 and 12.1
Ubuntu 12.04.2 and 13.04

So I looked for what needs to be done to get drivers working on Debian 7.4.

I downloaded the Catalyst installation per:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Catalyst-Linux-Installer-Notes.aspx#

Then:
sudo sh ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg

which produces:

Debian Packages:
     Debian/sid
     Debian/unstable
     Debian/etch
     Debian/stable
     Debian/lenny
     Debian/testing
     Debian/experimental

Well, I am running wheezy, Debian 7.4.  So I tried:
sh ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/experimental

which produced:
Generating package: Debian/experimental
Error: Distro Version entered incorrectly or not supported, use --listpkg to identify valid distro versions

I tried the same thing with Debian/wheezy, and got the same message.

Any idea how I may get the card to work in 7.4?

What may be the challenges of installing one of:
Debian/lenny
Debian/testing
Debian/experimental

then installing the Catalyst package, then upgrading to 7.4?
Ray

If you read what you wrote, it says that the driver supports Debian/testing and Debian/stable. While these are the same and Debian/jessie and Debian/wheezy, it doesn't mean that the script recognizes them as that. Try using the same wording that the .run script uses for your version (which is not experimental BTW).

However, the install should recognize a 7770 card at least enough to install. At worst it would be a slow VESA mode. Then you have the choice of upgrading to the open source driver or the closed source one. I prefer the open source one - less hassle - but you may have a different need.