/var/cache/man/...

    The other day I noticed my computer clutteres up with many directories
in /var/cache/man/ for languages I don't speak so I deleted them.
Today they're back but I can't tell how they got there. Nothing in
/etc/cron/* says anything about recreating them. I assume mandb did it
but can't tell what initiated the recreation of all these directories.
Nor can I see any need, I don't imagine very many people speak all of
those 23 languages. What is the purpose of having all of them installed?
    Is there a config file I can edit to limit which directories are
created?
Thanks,
Mike