Re: Boot up is not Completing, it is Cycling

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 02:26:09PM -0700, ray wrote:
> Due to the time out issue, I am wondering if there might be a BIOS
> conflict with the Linux installation.  I don't know how to get to
> those boot logs.
>
> I have read they should be in /var/log/ and dmesg.log but I don't find
> that file and when I use gedit to go look, it says I don't have
> rights.  I could get to it by the root terminal, but I don't want to
> parse and unknown log at the command line and my grep skills are non
> existent.

To fix system troubles, you're going to have to be root! You don't
want any old user messing round with settings that affect every user, do
you?

Why don't you want to parse an unknown log at the command line?
You're going to have to if you want to get a "grip/handle" on what is
happening to your system.

Luckily, in this case, you don't have to be root to read the output of
dmesg¹

>From the command line:

$ dmesg | more

(That symbol between dmesg and more is the pipe symbol not a lower case
L or the digit 1, unfortunately, it varies where it is placed on the
keyboard. :(  )

Read the output, pushing the <space> key for more output. There may be a
clue in there somewhere.

Post back if you need any more assistance.

¹ $ man dmesg
For the details of the dmesg command.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X