Re: Question about firmware in Debian packaging system

Hi

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 07:30:48PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2014-04-02 15:54 +0200, Klaus wrote:
>
> > On 02/04/14 14:30, Paul E Condon wrote:

[snip]

> > Have you had a look in /var/log/syslog whether any firmware is loaded,
> > or whether any firmware is reported missing?
> >
> > grep firmware /var/log/syslog
>
> That's the wrong place since this file might already have been rotated
> since the last boot, better grep in dmesg instead:

Probably works 99.9% of the time. But dmesg will only output the last
16K (or so [1]) of kernel output.  And it can be cleared with
e.g. "dmesg -c".

Unless there are a lot of kernel messages (e.g. iptables logging
rejected packets), this is fine.

By default, the Debian installation of (r)syslog will copy this to
/var/log/dmesg.  This file is also subject to log rotation.

[1] I may have gotten the size wrong. Although limited, it only serves
    as a buffer in case syslog is slow picking it up. Configurable
    with the "log-buf-len" kernel parameter if you want to
    nitpick. But I'm sure you don't :-)

Regards
--
Karl E. Jorgensen