Re: Debian and Unicode line drawing

On 01/04/2014 12:14, Aleksander Kurczyk wrote:
Hello,

I am using PuTTY, [...]

I noticed that every frame in default Debian configuration in PuTTY
is displayed as the rows of ppppppppppppp and qqqqqqqqqq instead of
those frame ASCII characters. PuTTY and every of my Debian
installation is set to use Unicode UTF-8 encoded characters so
ncurses etc. should use those characters to display frames instead
of this vt100 escape code and ppppppppp/qqqqqqqqqqq after it. PuTTY
and KiTTY is expecting this and not those vt100 compatible
characters. PuTTY/KiTTY can use those vt100 charasters without any
problems but not in the Unicode mode. In this mode it expects
normal UTF-8 characters.

I use PuTTY to access a variety of *nix systems, and things seem to differ a lot. I use mc, and the 'line drawing' around its panes depends on using these settings, I've found:

PuTTY, Window, Translation:
Character set: UTF8
Handle line drawing: Use font in ANSI and OEM modes

and in mc, on Debian Wheezy in this example:
Display bits, Input display, code page: UTF8

gives a 'perfect' mc appearance in the PuTTY window.

I can make ncurses applications use Unicode characters with the
variable "export NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1" set in my .bashrc. But not
all applications uses ncurses. For example dpkg-reconfigure still
uses those vt100 escape code and ppppppppppp/qqqqqqqqqqqqq
characters. How can i make it Unicode compatible?

Oh, I didn't know there were these options. How do you know whether an application is an ncurses application? Is mc such an application? Maybe mc is ok because its codepage can be altered anyway, and maybe your observation suggests that dpkg-reconfigure cannot be changed; I see the problem, now.

Have you tried altering the ANSI/OEM setting in PuTTY, anyway?

regards, Ron