Re: Using reportbug

On Sat 29 Mar 2014 at 14:15:42 -0500, Frank Stachyra wrote:

> The HOWTO at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting suggests asking questions
> here that are not resolved by reportbug's interactive prompts.

Yep. Which interactive prompt concerns you?

> Maybe debian maintainers do not want bug reports from beginners, and
> deliberately makes using reportbug quite impossible to someone who
> does not already know how to use it.

Quite a claim! You too could learn how to use it; man page, trial and
error etc. etc.

> Assuming otherwise: as a beginner, I have no problem using reportbug,
> through its interactive prompts, until I have completed all of them.

We are halfway through your mail and find out you are very comfortable
with using reportbug.

> Then, reportbug offers not the remotest clue what to do next, to
> actually send the report. The result is that I have a fully completed
> bug report, with no apparent way to cause it to go to anybody who
> should get it.

Ah, you want to send the report. Have you read the man page?

> There is no prompt to complete and send the file, which appears to be
> written to /tmp.  The apparent list of commands at the bottom of the
> page (e.g., ^G for Get Help, ^X for Exit, ^etc, etc) produce no result
> when typed in, except that they appear as text.  There is no apparent
> way to enter anything but text; i.e., no way to enter a command that
> might send the report on its way.

No, you haven't read the man page.

> Surely there is a way to do this that might be made more readily
> apparent to anybody who has never used reportbug, and is not adept at
> using linux terminals

It is a requirement that everyone has to be adept at using the terminal.
'Readily apparent' is a function of reading the documentation and the
debian-user list archives.