Re: clean upgrade 32 -> 64?

On 2014-03-29 18:35 +0100, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Thanks!  Finally got the new machine set up to try the crossgrading, and
> everything worked just fine.  There's just one issue remaining:  a huge
> number of i386 packages on the machine show dependencies on either apt
> or dpkg, so any attempt to upgrade reinstalls the i386 apt and dpkg.  Is
> there an easy way around this, or do I need to plan on replacing all of
> these packages specifying amd64?

Normally there is no need to do this, at least not for packages depending
on dpkg, because dpkg is "Multi-Arch: foreign".

> Here's an example from the end of the list of conflicts I got:
>
>  texlive-pictures : Depends: dpkg (>= 1.14.18) but it is not going to be installed.
>  module-init-tools : PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2) but it is not going to be installed.

Those packages are actually achitecture-independent, so there is no
amd64 version of them.

> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
>      Install the following packages:
> 1)     apt [0.9.16.1 (testing, unstable)]
> 2)     dpkg [1.17.6 (testing, unstable)]

You have the amd64 version of dpkg installed, but which version of apt
do you have?  An architecture mismatch between apt and dpkg might
confuse the former, I suppose.

Cheers,
       Sven