Re: open files/ forcing dismount

On 2/25/14, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/14 14:58, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>>>
> <snipped>
>>>
>>> Is that the process that shows how much space is available in the GNOME
>>> file manager widget?
>>
>> No idea. I use the cmd line not a 'file manager'.
>> $ ps aux|grep 10600
>> justa    10600  0.0  0.0 132636  3704 ?        Sl   Feb24   0:00
>> /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-metadata
>

> https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GVolumeMonitor.html
> I've got nothing.
> I'm guessing you wouldn't have Tracker installed:-
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetaTracker
>
> Nautilus? Perhaps they use the hooks from the gvfs-metadata?

I finally got really jack of this problem, and apt-get purge'd gvfs
and everything related.

Problem SOLVED!

How wonderful. Purging a mis-behaving subsystem, in this case gvfs,
and a bad interaction between gvfs and god-know-swhat solves the
"cannot-dismount" problem!

The real problem, as I see it, is that gvfs, for _whatever_ reason,
creates some meta-tracking dot- folders and corresponding files, in
usb mounts (or any mounts I guess, for that matter), which for
_whatever_ reason, it fails to correctly remove those folders - for
reason of loop files? encrypted volumes?, well take note GVFS: I DON'T
CARE, YOU FIRETRUCKED UP by putting your shitty little meta data
rubbish on my mounts in the first place!!! Buggy piece of
unmentionable.

Good bye and good riddence!

And problem solved :)

Ahh, Zen serenity again.