Re: When fogetting assigned login name rather than password

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Sb, 15 mar 14, 05:45:14, Richard Owlett wrote:

If another OS had not been available but I knew the root password, is there
some way I could have gained access as root?

- Debian installer rescue mode

I was thinking of that as an instance of "having another OS available".

- boot in recovery mode[1]

Could you please clarify for us how you "know the root password", but
can't "gain access as root"?
 see [🔎] 53245EF4.2050001@cloud85.net">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 53245EF4.2050001@cloud85.net

We are close to taking bets :)

The winner will be someone claiming I have faulty recall of what I tried ;/

[1] not sure how this works with a disabled root account though, in case
you chose this during installation. Would a kind list subscriber with
such a setup please test and clarify this for us?

I'm about to do one of my routine disk wipes. Tell me what initial conditions you wish and what test procedure and I'll be happy to do it. The install medium will be Debian 6.0.5 DVD 1 of 8 with no internet connection.