Apache default directories

Hi,

The default virtual host when Apache is installed on Debian has
document root /var/www and a cgi-bin directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin. These
directories do not make intuitive sense to me. If I have static HTML
pages and some Perl CGI scripts, I would expect they go somewhere
under /usr/share/. What is the rational behind the chosen default
directories?

Thanks,
Peter

  # cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default
  <VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

      DocumentRoot /var/www
      <Directory />
          Options FollowSymLinks
          AllowOverride None
      </Directory>
      <Directory /var/www/>
          AllowOverride None
          Order allow,deny
          allow from all
      </Directory>

      ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
      <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
          AllowOverride None
          Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
          Order allow,deny
          Allow from all
      </Directory>

      ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

      # alert, emerg.
      LogLevel warn

      CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
  </VirtualHost>