Re: Security question concerning jail or virtualization

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 03:50:09 +0100
Martin Braun <yellowgoldmine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently experienced a server being "hacked" due to a security
> problem with a PHP application that made it possible for the "hacker" to
> gain a web shell.
>
> Due to this experience I would like to know what the best way to limit such
> problems is, especially when hosting web servers for users who may or may
> not installed unsecure applications on the web server.
>
> What does the big hosters do? What do they use?
>
> The solution can't be too complecated to maintain and I would prefer each
> user being completely seperated from the main OS and from other users.
>
> I have been thinking about running Debian inside FreeBSD Jails or "The
> Warden". I have also been thinking about using Xen and installing several
> Debians on Debian.
>
> What is the best (and if possible simplest) way to deal with this?
>
> Kind regards

Run your application as a normal user and the shell's that they will keep getting until your developers patch your
application won't matter at all other pissing off the rest of the world with their spam/flood/whatever.

That's it for Debian in this thread. The rest is for some php coding list.

http://www.suphp.org/Home.html