Re: Security question concerning jail or virtualization

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

Well Linux has LXC which is supposed to be equivalent to jails (also see docker). But use whatever suits you.

As are the older-school OpenVZ and Linux VServer technologies.

Idk what's current for breaking out of VMs is. It might be good to pay attention to who is using the most entropy and make sure you don't run out. Most VMs use processor VT to isolate things (I don't think any 'jail' does this).

The main difference between the jail/container technology and "real" VMs is that containers share the host node's kernel, while a full virtualization involves representing, to some degree, everything about a physical machine, e.g. BIOS, kernel, etc.

I think most providers use OpenStack (a suite of technologies). YMMV