Re: running a website the Debian way

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:18:07PM -0700, Peter Michaux wrote:

> What I'm thinking is that I'd like to be have some .deb packages that
> I can install on a brand new Debian VPS. These packages would create
> database users, database, and tables as necessary. These packages
> would configure and restart Apache to use the new configuration files.
> I would be trying to avoid type anything other than commands to
> install packages. Perferably one package that installs all other
> packages.
>
> Any pointers to good resources that describe doing all of this for a
> website the most Debian way possible?
>
> Does this even seem like a reasonable objective?

Debian provides packages and required users and basic
configuration, but not detailed configuration.

What you are looking for is a configuration management system.
There are several available in Debian:

chef
puppet
bcfg2

and probably others not obvious via a quick apt-cache search.

All of the above basically work this way: you have a master
server which supplies configuration information to other
machines, the clients. Each client will contact the master and
ask for changes; then the client applies changes, including
package installation, de-installation, specfic user creation,
and running whatever else you want -- database scripts, apache
config, anything else.

Lots of people in and out of Debian use configuration management
systems; they are clearly superior to the individual server
approach as soon as you have two machines doing similar jobs.

-dsr-