Re: running a website the Debian way

On Mi, 12 mar 14, 23:18:07, Peter Michaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had some small hobby-type websites running on a Debian VPS for a
> several years. My sysadmin approach has been very amateur and ad hoc.
> It has worked fine because I have not depended on these sites for
> anything. I'd like to learn how to install and maintain a website in a
> more professional way. If there is such a thing, I'd like to know what
> "the Debian way" would be.

Debian is the Universal Operating System. As such there are many ways to
do the same thing, depending on the complexity, the number of systems
(similar or not), etc.

> What I'm thinking is that I'd like to be have some .deb packages that
> I can install on a brand new Debian VPS. These packages would create
> database users, database, and tables as necessary. These packages
> would configure and restart Apache to use the new configuration files.
> I would be trying to avoid type anything other than commands to
> install packages. Perferably one package that installs all other
> packages.

Package 'equivs' is probably a good start for this. It's quite easy to
create a package to pull in other packages (i.e. a metapackage) and
install files on your system.

However, according to Debian Policy a package is not allowed to change
another package's files, ever.

If you're lucky all packages you want to configure either support
configuration directories where you can install additional configuration
(AFAIK apache does) or have some hooks to configure them
(dbconfig-common?).

Worst case you will have to change/overwrite another package's
configuration/files. Yes, this is against Debian Policy, so you can not
call it The Debian Way anymore, but it's not like you plan to upload
that package to Debian anyway, are you? :)

For further assistance you have to provide more details of exactly what
configuration you want to make.

Kind regards,
Andrei