Recovery mode not working

I'm running Testing with 486 kernels on a Motion Computing M1400 tablet.

Linux-images 3.10-2-486, 3.10-3-486, and 3.12-1-486 are currently
installed.

All kernels were booting happily to a graphical login (lightdm).

Being of a clumsy nature, I managed to change a lightdm config file
in a way that prevented the tablet from booting to the lightdm login.

No problem I thought. Simply CTRL-ALT-F1 and correct the botched file
and restart X.

To my dismay, CTRL-ALT-F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8 produced nothing
but the same blank screen.

No problem I thought. Simply reboot and choose recovery mode in order
to correct the problem.

Now blind panic, as recovery mode with all of the three install kernels
simply boots to that same familiar blank screen.

Help.

Is there somewhere I should report the problem?

Does any one have any suggestion as to how I can recover my system?

Thanks in advance.

--

Chris Dunn