starting apache with -X

Hello.

I am trying to debug a cgi script run through apache, and have found some documents which says that running apache with -X allows to not run apache as a daemon [1]. But, I do not really understand how to do this: I start it with commands like this one: "#service apache2 start/stop/restart/...". I tried to go inside /etc/rc2.d/S01apache2 ( yes, I know, it's only a link to real script ) but... 410 lines of shell script are not that easy to understand when you are not accustomed to.

1: https://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html
I know it's about debugging apache, and not CGIs, but I hope to be able to find how to break with gdb when apache starts my script after this.