Re: putting the 'wifi switch' argument to rest

On 3/10/2014 12:16 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Nobody is 'right'.  We're all wrong to some degree.

I based my assertion that there is no such thing as a "WiFi Switch" on
the fact that the term/phrase has been co-opted by lay and marketing
people to describe all manner of things related to Wifi--not a singular
thing--including, but not limited to:

WiFi controlled light switch
WiFi remotely switched AC power outlet
Wireless Router with wired Ethernet switch
Laptop WiFi antenna [en|dis]able via physical or software "switch"

As it turns out, there is an actual device whose official name is "WiFi
Switch".  It's a solid state integrated circuit switch, actually a
family of IC switches, present in every wireless device, whose functions
are one or more of the following, depending on IC model, in order of
functional capability importance:

1.  Switch at high frequency between transmit and receive ports on the
network interface IC because radio is not a full duplex technology

2.  Switch amongst multiple antennae on devices such as routers and APs
possessing 2 or more antennae, simultaneously with #1 in some designs

3.  Switch between different network device IC ports, such as a cell
network IC and 802.11 IC, or simply different ports on once IC if it
integrates both physical protocols--used in smart phones, etc

Some, but not all, of these IC also have a no-connect switch position,
which provides the facility for disabling the antenna(e).  This one
function of many, not included on all switch ICs, and the least
important of the bunch, is apparently what most lay people consider to
be the sole function of a "WiFi Switch".  I always take exception to lay
person use of terminology, with good reason, because the meaning can be
different in the minds of different people.  That's the purpose of
standards.  In this thread, everyone but me has been using one of many
layperson definitions of "WiFi Switch", not the technically correct
definition presented above.  The following document from a leading
manufacturer of WiFi Switch ICs provides the technical data proving my
points above:

http://www.rfmd.com/CS/Documents/BR_Switch_LNA_FE_Solutions.pdf

Maybe this can finally put this time wasting sub thread to rest.

Cheers,

Or maybe you can just admit you were wrong and his machine does have a means of turning the WiFi on and off - commonly known as a "WiFi" switch.

Naw, it will never happen.  You're never wrong.  ROFLMAO!

Jerry