Re: domain-name option during the installation of Debian

On Sat 08 Mar 2014 at 01:40:34 +0000, Martin T wrote:

> during the installation of Debian, one is asked for "domain name".

Correct.

> Only place where it seems to be used is for completing the FQDN's:

Please see [1].

> root@localhost:~# find / \( \( -path "/proc" -o -path "/sys" \) -a
> -prune \) -o \( -type f -a -exec grep -iH "lab.net" {} \; \)
> /var/log/installer/status:Maintainer: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi@remlab.net>
> /var/log/installer/status:Maintainer: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi@remlab.net>
> /var/log/installer/cdebconf/questions.dat:Value: lab.net

lab.net is what you entered for the domain name. Please see [1]

> /etc/network/interfaces: dns-search lab.net

'dns-search lab.net' was not put in /e/n/i by the installer. It is used
during DNS resolution. Coincidentally, you have used the domain name
lab.net in dns-search.

> root@localhost:~#
>

> So in case I execute "ping www", it is translated automatically to
> "ping www.lab.net".

This is part of DNS resolution.

> However, where and how is the domain-name used during/after Debian installation?

Below is [1].

During installation.
--------------------

You give the machine a single word name; debian, say. Then you choose
lab.net as the domain name. d-i puts

  127.0.1.1     debian.lab.net     debian

in /etc/hosts; basically, this is all it does. /etc/hosts is not involved
in DNS resolution.

After installation.

debian.lab.net is used by various other software. For example, exim4
constructs /etc/mailname from it and uses it as the HELO/EHLO greeting
in an SMTP transaction.