Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

On Jo, 06 mar 14, 20:16:05, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:

> What I'd like to do with my friends is:
>
> 1: Install them toward the *right* Wheezy network install image for
>    their CPU. I've never been able to easily find the right network
>    install image, and just sort of used whatever I could find.

Unless you *know* their systems support 64 bit go with i386. It will
also make installation of some non-free 32 bit only software easier
(e.g. skype).

> 2: Tell them how to use the network install CD to install Debian sans
>    GUI.
> 3: Tell them to apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
> 4: Tell them how to make Xfce be what runs when they issue the startx
>    command.

Don't make things harder than necessary, there are dedicated CD images
for each of the 4 Desktop Environments. Here's the link to the latest
stable XFCE image:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.4.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-7.4.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

Besides installing XFCE by default this will also make sure the
installation works if there are troubles with the internet connection.

> 5: Tell them how to make iceweasel play youtube videos (I think today I
>    saw someone on this list say to go to youtube.com/html5 : Is that a
>    good solution in general?)

No idea. I have it selected, but I also have flashplugin-nonfree
installed (from the 'contrib' repository), so youtube always works for
me :)

Kind regards,
Andrei