Re: feature request for this mailing list

On 06/03/14 21:01, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Hello.
>
> As I am starting to subscribe to various mailing lists, I have noticed
> that some uses a kind of tag in subjects. Obviously, it is added by the
> ml-engine, not by users.

Yes. My local LUG and other lists do the same thing - append the list
name to the subject line.

> I am also receiving more and more spam since 2 months. I guess my
> address was sold to or found by some f****** spammers, which do not
> understand that someone without a classic hotmail, google or whatever
> mainstream mail provider will probably know what a spam is and only be
> annoyed.

These lists are frequently scraped by spammers for their lists. Par for
the course.

> So I think that it could be useful to have this one prefixing mails
> with, for example [debian-user], or [du] or whatever. But I do not know
> where to submit this idea. Do someone knows?

The mailing list manager(?)
But I wouldn't be surprised if the request is considered a redundant
requirement i.e. the email sender does exactly the same thing, so why
should debian lists make up for the lack of functionality in a product
like Roundcube?

Note that Roundcube has a plugin API, so it should be possible to add
more filtering on send address basis and/or prefix the subject line, I'm
also pretty sure it has a tag plugin that works the same as the Icedove one.

> I know that some MUAs are able to do such kind of filtering
> automatically, but I am using a webmail (roundcube) most of the time,
> which have less features, but have the same configuration and display on
> all computers I use to access my mails :)

You're kind of stuck with the lack of features with Roundmail and it's
plugins (or the need to create new ones) - which is a reason I don't use
it (I have reverse ssh tunnel to my work Icedove so I don't need
multiple MUAs).
I note you do use Icebird (Thunderbird but betterer) which has excellent
filtering capabilities. I have directories beneath my Icedove mail
accounts and use it's filtering system to move mail from Incoming to the
relevant directory using Subject and/or Content to remove the high
noise:signal posters to the um, big round grey filing cabinet, and
Sender filters to move Incoming from debian-user to the debian-user
directory, the remainder go to Offlist.
NOTES re spam control and filtering/tagging: I use free email accounts
for high-volume mailing lists like this one, so I don't have the same
problems as you (a third-party does the first round of Spam filtering).
I also make use of my free email providers sort-of-alias email address
capability. i.e. this email address is
scott.ferguson.debian.user@notpluggingmyemail.provider, I can add,
remove or move dots in the email user name when posting (not
subscribing) and the replies will carry dots in the same position -
which allows me to determine where spammers got an email address from,
as well as enabling further Icedove filtering. I don't know if your
provider allows that functionality - some also allow additions i.e.
scott.ferguson.debian.user+justAtest@whatever and anything following the
"+" is ignored when matching accounts. Some email providers won't allow
mixed case either.
I also use an Icedove extension to add tagging to it's filtering
ability. Perhaps Roundmails tagging plugin would prove useful?

Kind regards