Re: Help with GPT

On 03/03/14 14:40, Sven Hartge wrote:
ha <hiei.arhiva@gmail.com> wrote:

Last few weekends I struggled with the GPT. I've tried to install
debian 7.2 from live DVD (but booting from USB). However, at the end
of installation I always receive the message "Grub-pc package failed
to install into /target/", or something like that. Now, I'm aware that
I can solve this by booting to rescue mode, doing grub-install, chroot
into the instaled system and simply update grub. However, I'm getting
really pissed of by this "post-installation tweaking", and my lack of
knowledge on how to avoid it. So I must humbly ask If someone knows a
way around this, i.e. how to persuade the debian installer to install
grub.

With a GPT you _need_ to have a small partition (1MiB is enough) marked
as "bios_grub" or "BIOS boot partition" of type EF02 to be able to
install GRUB.

This is needed because with a GPT there is no "hole" or free space after
the MBR and the beginning of the first partition.

Grüße,
Sven.

Yes, I have a small partition on both disks around 2-4MiB. That didn't help. I did it using parted, something like:

# parted /dev/sda
(parted) unit MB
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 0 2