Re: Jessie almost freezes every several minutes

On 01/03/14 12:36 PM, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 12:11:35 -0500
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

On 01/03/14 11:30 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
I shut down iceweasel and things seemed noticeably faster. I was
still getting the solid disk light intermittently but it's didn't
slow the system to a crawl. After restarting Iceweasel and
restoring the previous session, things have continued to be speedy.
The disk light is still coming on and staying solid for extended
periods, but the system isn't slowed down.

The main i/o users currently are virtuoso-t and ext4lazyinit
(occasionally jbd2 shows up), with virtuoso being by far the
largest (and doing both read and write).

At this point I'm confused... But my system is speedy again after
weeks of being frustratingly slow.

Spoke too soon. The problem is back and shutting down Iceweasel
didn't fix it this time.
Gary, if you're running KDE, read this:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=92886

Personally, because of instability, slowdowns and hangs on Mandrake and
Mandriva and Ubuntu, I exiled every KDE program and library from my
computer, and life has been faster and more stable ever since.

Because of KDE's philosophy of monolithic entanglement, it's not enough
to use a non-KDE desktop but use KDE apps, I found I had to banish all
things KDE from my system to get rid of 99% CPU dbus processes,
gigabyte-plus soprano-virtuoso.db files, and various other intermittent
KDEisms.

I've heard people say the KDE problems were due to poor integration in
the Linux distribution, so perhaps if you used Wheezy instead of Jessie
this problem would go away. But from my perspective, if I need to choose
distros based on whether KDE doesn't screw up, that's a KDE problem,
not a distro problem.

I've had excellent results with Xfce. Same with LXDE, except LXDE
traditionally has slow mousing. I've found OpenBox to be excellent if
you like that no-taskbar experience. By the way, my advice would be to
install Xfce no matter what you really use for a desktop, just so you
can have the outstanding xfce4-appfinder program, which is a
spectacular timesaver if bound to a hotkey.

SteveT

BTW: there is something more than just KDE since I didn't get a slowdown when I tried it with a new user without having the raid array /home. The differences besides the raid array are:
- new user configuration with almost no files
- no nfs shares mounted (usually have a dozen shares mounted)
- no icedove accounts (usually have a half-dozen e-mail accounts checked every 10 minutes)
- no kontact calendar, etc. (but kontact was running).