Re: After moving root partition to ssd, debian boots directly to runlevel 0 (shutdown)

On 27/02/14 15:37, Meier wrote:
> In my laptop there is a SSD which I decided to finally use. So I made
> one big partition out of it, and copied my root file system onto it (cp
> -ax, while / was mounted read-only). My root filesystem includes /var
> but not /home or /boot. I'm using the actual debian testing.
> I made all necessary changes to fstab and grub.
> The bootloader still resides on the HDD since for whatever reason my
> system doesn't support to boot from the SSD card.
> But now when I boot my system it boots correctly, but in the middle of
> the boot progress it shows me

> Setting up x sockets ...
> init: entering runlevel 0
>
> and it starts stopping all services and at the end switches off the laptop.
> If I choose in the grub menu to boot into recovery mode (runlevel 1),
> and just press ctrl+D instead of entering the root password when being
> asked for it. It correctly boots to runlevel 2 and starts up the xserver
> and everything is working perfectly. It's also using the correct
> partitions and everything.
> I guessed it could be some kind of timing issue, so I passed the
> delayroot parameter to the kernel, but that didn't change anything. Also
> telling the kernel explicitly it should boot to runlevel 2 doesn't
> change anything. I guess there must be some service or something which
> forces the system (or kernel) to shutdown directly.
> In syslog I couldn't find anything helpful since it seems like it
> doesn't manage to write anything there before shutting down the laptop.
> So right now I've got no idea what the problem could be.
> I already changed root partitions/disks on a lot of systems. And never
> run into this problem.
> If anybody could give me a hint into the right direction would be great.
>
> thanks in advance :-)
> meier

I'd check GRUB first and make sure it loads the correct modules and
looks in the right places for the kernel and fs /.

At the GRUB boot prompt use the arrow keys, if necessary, to make the
selection the default boot (not the rescue boot) and press "e" to edit
and look at the lines:-
;insmod $someModule (should be multiple entries)
;set root='(dev/$someDevice,$someSliceN)'
;search $something --set-root $someRootUUID
;linux $something root=UUID$someKernelUUID

Note $someModule/s $someDevice, $someSliceN, and the last four
characters of $someRootUUID and $someKernelUUID

Then press F2 or Ctrl-c to open the GRUB shell.
At the "grub>" prompt type "halt" and press Enter (alternatively you can
enter "reboot").

You should see multiple entries for $someModule. At least one for a
filesystem and at least one for a *_part(ition table type), and one each
for a video module and gzio.

You'll need to boot from a Live CD to check the UUIDs (with blkid). You
can do it from the GRUB shell (search.fs_uuid $UUID) but it's a lot of
writing and typing.

Kind regards