Re: open files/ forcing dismount

On 25/02/14 14:58, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 2/25/14, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25/02/14 14:21, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>> One long term "non-easy" issue that keeps coming up a few times a
>>> year, is attempting to dismount an external drive/usb stick and this
>>> failing due to a file being opened.

<snipped>

>> Is that the process that shows how much space is available in the GNOME
>> file manager widget?
>
> No idea. I use the cmd line not a 'file manager'.
> $ ps aux|grep 10600
> justa    10600  0.0  0.0 132636  3704 ?        Sl   Feb24   0:00
> /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-metadata

https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GVolumeMonitor.html
I've got nothing.
I'm guessing you wouldn't have Tracker installed:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetaTracker

Nautilus? Perhaps they use the hooks from the gvfs-metadata?

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/man1/gvfsd-metadata.1.html

>> You don't have your file manager attempting to display the contents of a
>> drive you simultaneously want to unmount (and therefore not display, or
>> it's free space) - do you?
>
> I'm pretty sure not: besides the panel and plugins (I know, dirty,
> dirty screen),

metho and a rag will fix that. ;)

> I run sensors viewer, firefox and some xterms. It's
> about as simple as it gets ('cept those dirty xfce4 panels!)
>
>> ps aux | grep -i gproxyvol
>
> Nope. Blank as it greps.

so maybe nothing is using it. Possibly?:-
# cp ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata{,.bak}
# rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata

Kind regards