Re: Wireless AP setup: RTL8188CUS

On 25/02/14 07:03, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Selim,

WI1 chip1: Realtek RTL8188CUS
FCC ID: T58WF2120R
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearchResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

<snipped>

>>> sudo make modules_install
>>>
>>> This did install the modules in the right place.
>>>
>>> Now I'm trying to setup the network and interfaces so get the
>>> usb wireless adapter to works.
>>>
>>> I'm following the advices described here:
>>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-ubuntu-linux-setting-wireless-access-point/
>>>

>>> and here:
>>> https://agentoss.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/creating-a-wireless-access-point-with-debian-linux/
>>>

>>> sofar without success..
>>>
>>> When I run the command bellow: sudo hostapd -dd
>>> /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
>>>
>>> I get the messages: random: Trying to read entropy from
>>> /dev/random Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf Line 6:
>>> invalid/unknown driver 'rtl8192sfw' 1 errors found in
>>> configuration file '/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf'
>>>
>>> I tried with driver names: rtl8192cu

FWIW that's the one I'd try (only if the stock module failed would I
compile one from non-Debian source).

>>>, rtlwifi to, but without
>>> any success. Which drivername is walid? How can I find the proper
>>> drivername for my usb wireless network adapter?

See above paragraph (based on the chipset from the FCCID)

apropos of little.... what do you get from?:-
$ mlocate rtl8192sfw

>> Moreover, now, when I connect my usb wifi adapter to my Bubba 2, I
>> get a new interface, the wlanN, where the N is a number, from 1 to
>> 5 so far.

That's as it should be I believe.

>> How can I setup this, to always get the wlan0 name of the wifi
>> interface?

$ grep wlan /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
if it's there (I don't have one I can check at present) then edit the
entry matching the correct MAC address and change it's name from wlanN
to wlan0, then remove the other wlanN lines. You'll need to be root to
edit the file.

> OK, I have now the followings in my /etc/network/interfaces file:
<snipped>

> # wifi on wlan0 allow-hotplug wlan0 iface wlan0 inet manual

<snipped>

> Now, when I run the command: sudo ifup wlan0
>
> I get nothing as output..
>
> If I run it again, I get: ifup: interface wlan0 already configured

Yes. ifup only does something if the net device is not up already.
Instead try:-
# ifdown wlan0;ifup wlan0

> but, the command sudo ifconfig -a gives to me only: eth0      Link
> encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:02:00:07:3c
<snipped>

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:02:00:07:3d
<snipped>

> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
<snipped>
> and sudo iwconfig lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      no wireless extensions.
>
> Where is the wlan0 interface?

You set it to manual (so it's off somewhere reading the manual?) ;p

It's there, but you haven't specified it e.g.:-
# iwconfig wlan0
which is why iwconfig it's trying all of the *configured* network devices.

man interfaces <snipped section>
"The manual Method
       This method may be used to define interfaces for which *no*
configuration is done by default. Such interfaces can be configured
manually by means of up and down commands or /etc/net‐work/if-*.d scripts."

What I take that to mean is - that unless you have something in
/etc/network/if-*.d then the if up/down commands need to be qualified.
.i.e issuing:-
# ifup wlan0
is interpreted as "do nothing to wlan0". Compare that to "ifup eth1"
which is interpreted as "ifup eth1 <use settings from section in
interfaces>"

Ref:-
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse