Re: netcat usage.

On Mon 24 Feb 2014 at 20:18:16 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 24/02/14 20:07, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > I'd include socat in the list, but perhaps it's command line options
> > are different? socat is my preferred network swiss army knife.
> >
> > A little different, but there are also netsed, netrw etc.
>
> And the excellent crypcat - but I just counted the ones with netcat in
> their name (in case the OP was, um, fussy about it), not necessarily
> their functionality. I don't know what the actual criteria for being
> "netcat" is, for me if it does the job and is in /etc/alternatives I'm
> happy.

There is also ncat, which comes in the nmap package and is described as
"a much-improved reimplementation of the venerable Netcat". This is what
the OP is apparently using. He might also have nc aliased to ncat.

I'd not previously come across the CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE capability Pascal
Hambourg mentions; the OP could consider doing (as root)

   setcap cap_net_bind_service=+ep /usr/bin/ncat

as a solution to his problem.