Re: How to configure eth0 with static ip and eth1 dhcp

On 23/02/2014 06:28, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 22 feb 14, 20:55:28, Dan Purgert wrote:
>>
>> Now, the downside to this approach is that devices connected to the Wifi AP of
>> the Huawei device will not be able to communicate with the stuff behind the *nix
>> server.  An easier solution (IMO) would be something like the following:
>>
>> 1. Install DHCP server on the *nix box.
>> 2. Set eth0 to a static IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.1).
>> 3. Bind DHCP and DNS to eth0.
>> 4. Connect eth0 on the Huawei device to eth0 of the *nix box.
>> 5. Connect eth1 on the Huawei device to a switch (for the other computers).
>
> This doesn't make sense to me and even if I assume eth1 is actually on
> the server there is no practical advantage vs. just connecting
> everything to the switch.

I understood him as wanting to use the *nix box as the router, instead of
wanting to use the built-in functionality of the Huawei 4g thing.

>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>> address 192.168.0.2
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> gateway 192.168.0.1
>> [dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220] <-- these are openDNS, use your
>> ISP, some other DNS provider, or your internal nameservers if you'd like.
>>

>> auto eth1
>> iface eth1 inet static
>> address 192.168.1.1
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> gateway 192.168.0.2
>
> Two gateways?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

It's been ages since I've done routing on a 2-NIC PC/router.  I've probably
gotten something a bit wrong.

eth0 is connected to the Huawei device.
eth1 is the "LAN" side of the "server-now-router" box.

-Dan