Re: How to configure eth0 with static ip and eth1 dhcp

On Sb, 22 feb 14, 19:22:16, Markos wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm trying to configure a machine with two network cards to share
> Internet access to an internal network
>
> the /etc/network/interface is:
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> The card eth0 is used as gateway on the internal network with static
> IP 192.168.0.1 and eth1 is connected to the B-890 -53 Huawei modem.
>
> But the modem do not send an IP during initialization.

How did you check? I would recommend you try configuring eth1 with dhcp
"by hand":

    dhclient eth1

This should give you feedback on what is actually happening. I assume
the physical connection is ok, right?

> The IP of modem is192.168.1.1.
>
> The modem sends the IP address (192.168.0.4) to my laptop by wifi
> without problems.

Are you sure about this? The modem should hand out IPs in its own subnet
(192.168.1.x) or do you mean 192.168.*1*.4?

Kind regards,
Andrei