Re: update-grub

On 21/02/14 20:27, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 21/02/14 20:06, Ric Moore wrote:
>> After bending my brains for a day fixing little problems, after
>> upgrading to Jessie, I'm noticing a weird behavior.
>>
>> I have Ubuntu on /dev/sda3 and Debian on /dev/sdb1. When I run
>> update-grub, it notices the Ubuntu partition yet when I boot, the old
>> selection for Ubuntu is no longer there. It used to be, and poof it's
>> gone now. Any assist would be appreciated. Thanx, Ric
>>

> Which OS manages GRUB for you - or do you let strongest one win?
>
> Make sure you don't have more than one grub.cfg

in use (?)

>  (one per OS) and that
> GRUB is using the correct one. i.e. from Debian mount the relevant
> Ubuntu slice and grep it's grub.cfg.

If you find that update-grub is applying the desired changes to grub.cfg
but you don't see those changes at the GRUB boot prompt then GRUB
(Debian) may not be updating the relevant area. Compare the actual boot
choices you see to both Ubuntu's grub.cfg and Debian's
$ grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg

You don't say 'what' is bootable - mbr, partition/s etc. If Ubuntu and
Debian are using different types of schemes it can cause (fixable)
problems. It may be as simple as mounting the Ubuntu slice and copying
the relevant section from it's /etc/grub.d/* to the same in Debian and
re-running upgrade-grub.

NOTE: Friday night here - gotta go, I'll check back tomorrow to see if
you, or someone else has sorted if for you.