Debian speech recognition - end user information &/or forus

I want essentially a note taking tool.
NO interest in voice activated control.

A brief search indicated voice recognition is an active project under Debian accessibility. What I found was developer oriented. I'm looking for fairly basic information aimed at prospective user.

I've casually followed speech recognition since the 70's, though have never actually used it.

The goals of CMU Sphinx far exceed how I'd actually use it. [E.G. I don't need speaker independence, continuous recognition, nor real time. I'm not sure if "large vocabulary" would be a requirement.]

Initially I intend to use Wheezy on a Lenovo R61 Thinkpad with a yet to be specified USB input device. The laptop will not be running any other application while voice recognition is being used.

Pointers please. Thank you.