tor-arm - unable to read tor log files

arm gives the following error:

[ARM_WARN] Unable to read tor's log file: /var/log/tor/log [1 duplicate hidden]

I created the tor-arm user as suggested.

The log file dir /var/log/tor is ownership debian-tor.debian-tor
The log files /var/log/tor/log are ownership debian-tor.adm

Am I supposed to add the tor-arm user to the adm group?
Doing so does not "feel" like the optimal solution from a security
perspective - suggestions sought.

Again, seems like arm is a relatively young package, at least in
wheezy; can't speak to sid's tor-arm package yet.

TIA
Zenaan