Re: Check Update, Update and Port Blocking

On 02/17/2014 09:28 PM, Bill Wood wrote:
> Do the protocols used for automatic check for updates and for updates
> require specific ports to be available?  I recently switched my cable
> modem to a Comcast Internet Gateway 1with the firewall set to high
> security and subsequently a couple of update check icons appeared
> indicating an error condition to to failure to access a file server.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that apt uses standard http,
so port 80 outgoing.

Could it be dns problems? Check /etc/apt/sources.list and any files in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and see if you can reach them in a web browser
form that system.

> I am currently running Debian 6.0.9 (Squeeze) stable.  I want to upgrade
> to 7 but don't want to get hung up with bad downloads due to port
> blocking by the firewall.
>
> Thanks,

Use the -d option with apt-get.  It means download only, so you'll see
if there are bad/missing downloads without actually starting the upgrade.

- PaulNM