Re: Disk heads won't park

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 10:50 -0600, yaro@marupa.net wrote:
> On Monday, February 17, 2014 04:55:48 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:46 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > For each drive
> > $ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sd...
> > now and a few minutes later, then compare the RAW_VALUE for
> > ID#4 Start_Stop_Count and/or ID#193 Load_Cycle_Count.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes
> >
> > This will show you if a drive does spin up and down.
> >
> > Some software, e.g. GVFS and KDE's equivalent to GVFS could make drives
> > spin up and down again and again. I'm e.g. using Xfce4 without GVFS, but
> > after using K3b my "Green" WD USB drive spins up and down again and
> > again, if I have GVFS installed this happens all the times.
>
> I don't think KDE has anything like GVFS. I use KDE and see nothing extra
> mounted shows up in my mtab. This is fine since I never saw the point in GVFS
> at all in the first place.

Installs of KDE on my machine make my WD spin up and down again and
again. For Xfce4 installs with GVFS this happens too, for Xfce4 installs
without GVFS it doesn't happen, but after running K3b something is
started that makes the WD spin up and down again and again too, for
Xfce4 installs without GVFS. IOW there at least is something that wakes
up Green drives, for GNOME and GNOME forks and Xfce it's GVFS. I don't
know what does cause it for KDE, but something does cause this issue.