Re: Upgrading Computer

Ralf Mardorf grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 22:57 -0800, David Guntner wrote:
>> I build almost exclusively with ASUS motherboards, and every one has
>> worked just fine with Windows or Linux.  So I'm not exactly sure what
>> you were going for here, Ralf....
>
> ASUS mobos have different chip sets, as the mobos of other vendors have
> got too. I don't trust generalizations based on experiences for computer
> gear, even not my own experiences. The vendor that did build good HDDs
> for the last 5 years might build bad HDDs the next 5 years. The company
> that build everlasting power supplies might use undersized capacitors
> now. IMO there isn't a real quality standard to count on. Your milage
> seems to vary.

That's an awful lat of supposition based on things you have no way of
predicting....

All anyone can do is go on information they have, in hand, regarding
past performance.  If a company has an established history of turning
out good stuff with a reasonable degree of regularity, the odds are that
the next thing they turn out will likely also be good.  Can they turn
out something bad?  Sure.  But no sane person is going to go with
something along the lines of, "Oh, the next one might be bad even though
they've got a good track record so far, so I'm not going to take a
chance with that new one."

If you've got hard information regarding a particular board in the past
being bad (bad for lots of people; a case of "it was a good run but the
board I got was bad" simply means you got a bad one out of an otherwise
good run), then that's hard information that can contribute to a
discussion.  Anything else is just a non-sequitur that only serves to
clutter up a conversation on the subject while making no meaningful
contribution to it.

In other words, it looks like you're just trolling...

                  --Dave