Re: [OT] kernel 3.14-rc2 for Testing

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 10:05 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2014 11 Feb 07:20 -0600, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > Any reason why people should *not* distrust this kernel?
> >
> > I was thinking the same thing. Why the rush to upgrade kernels anyway?
>
> Indeed.  Those needing cutting edge features should only get the source
> from a known source such as kernel.org

+1

> and know how to build a custom kernel.

That's easy to learn, even for newbies and compiling likely takes less
than 2 hours on a modern machine.

> This just looks to be ripe for something very bad to catch the
> naive.

I don't know phoronix
( http://www.phoronix-media.com/index.php?k=contact ) and won't assume
they patch the kernel for NSA usage, but it at least is strange to
announce a kernel from a third party repository to this list. They
likely only need testers, however, Linux users should be aware that
using third party repositories is a risk already regarding to the
stability of the system, if you can trust the people who provide it, but
it becomes a serious security risk too, if those repositories are
provided by people you don't know.

OT: Systemd Is The Future Of Debian
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYwMDQ