Re: images that play nicely with revision control?

Hi

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 08:07:57AM -0500, Henning Follmann wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 12:28:45PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > I'm looking for a file format for images that plays nicely with revision
> > control. Ideally I'd like to edit them while seeing what I'm editing,
> > whether it's a line drawing (like inkscape) or a pixel map.
> >

> I think that doesn't exist. At least not for all kind of images.
> SVG is basically an XML file. There you can at least compare the xml
> content. But that however is also very tricky, you might need something
> which converts it first into canonical xml and the compare/store it.
> But that is only efficient for vector images. For bitmap images that
> wouldn't work.

For bitmap images, you *could* resort to storing them in PBM format -
which happens to be pure text and easy to parse[1].  The netpbm package
contains tools for converting to/from a plethora of formats. And to do
basic command-line manipulation of images.

For viewing the image, the normal Gnome tools understand PBM -
e.g. eog will happily show them, and nautilus will show you
thumbnails.  Not sure about other file managers...

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netpbm_format

--
Karl E. Jorgensen