Re: (none)

Op donderdag 6 februari 2014 14:10:03 UTC+1 schreef andrey...@bilkent.edu.tr:

> i installed new hardware to my my computer. Namely ide cd-dvd rw. The
> device is presenting in /dev directory but i can not see it in file
> manager. i can not use it. What is correct way to install new hardware to
> debian machine? I have newest debian on my computer.
> Thanks in advance,

Because there is an entry for the device in /dev, Debian recognised it and has a driver for it.

I think that you still must add your userid to the group that has access to the device. First, find out the device's group:

$ ls -l /dev/sr0
brw-rw---T+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 jan 30 11:45 /dev/sr0

In my case, the device's name is /dev/sr0. It may differ in your situation.

Then, as root, add your userid to the devices group:
# adduser andrey cdrom

I assume that your userid is andrey...

Then, log out and log in again, until then the group change will have no effect.

HTH