Re: "cloning" a debian installation

Hello,

2014-02-05 Kruppt <krupptus@fastmail.fm>:
On 2014-01-31, Kruppt <krupptus@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2014-01-31, Fabrice Vaillant <fa.vaillant@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I'm using debian 7.3 on my laptop (Dell E5530) and it runs perfectly
>> fine. I'm considering remplacing the hdd by a ssd.
>> The thing is I'd rather not go through the hassle of setting up debian
>> to suit my computer. The question I'm asking is, what would be the
>> simplest way(if it is possible) to "clone" my existing installation onto
>> the new ssd.
>> Knowing that the root and the home are on two different partition of my
>> hdd which are the only partition on my disk beside the swap.
>> Howewer the ssd is smaller than the disk and the home partition will
>> need to be resized. I also consider slightly increasing the root
>> partition size as it is quitte full (77%) after running "apt-get clean".
>>
>> Since I am at it, I would also like to know if it is possible to remove
>> the swap as it is bad for ssd life to write and rewrite, and I have
>> plenty (8 giga) of ram.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Fabrice
>>

> Yes you can clone it easily with rsync.
> Create the partitions and filesystems on the new SSD,
> via gparted or fdisk, mke2fs or whatever.
> Then use rsync to clone the filesystems onto
> the new SDD partitions/filesystems.
>
> Lets say the original HDD is layed out like below
> as an example, and partitions, filesystems have been created,
>
> Boot up a LiveCD such as SystemRescueCD on a comp with
> both drives connected.
> Make mount points for partitions to
> be cloned and mount them all.
>
> HDD
> sda1 swap
> sda2 /
> sda3 /home
>
> SSD
> sdb2 swap
> sdb2 /
> sda3 /home
>
>>From Root Terminal run:
> rsync -av --delete /mnt/sda2/ /mnt/sdb2;rsync -av --delete /mnt/sda2/ /mnt/sdb2

Above line should read:
rsync -av --delete /mnt/sda2/ /mnt/sdb2;rsync -av --delete /mnt/sda3/ /mnt/sdb3

to clone the whole system you should not forget hardlinks (-H), and may be also ACL (-A) or extended attributes (-X) should be preserved.

    -a, --archive               archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)

When the cloned disk is updated several times, also option -u (=update only if needed) can be used.

# rsync -avuHAX --delete /mnt/sda2/ /mnt/sdb2

BR,
Roland