Re: Re^2: A persistent name for a sound device.

On my Debian desktop I created the following file:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1

The emu10k1 is a PCI sound card and the intel8x0 is the onboard sound.
I have the emu10k1 connected to my speakers while the intel8x0 is
connected to my HF amateur radio for various digital communication
modes.  This arrangement has served me well for several years.

I can still plug in a USB inteface and use the Pulse Audio Volume
Control application (pavucontrol package) to direct the playing
application to it.

- Nate