Re: freeradius startup delay

On 20140131_203944, Andre Marschalek wrote:
> hi,
>

> i installed freeradius and samba4 (internal dns) on debian wheezy (testing
> repository) and every time i reboot this system freeradius failes to start

Wheezy has been the stable version of Debian for more than a year at
the least. Check where you downloaded from. If you really did get
Wheezy from a testing repository, you should review how you got your
copy of Wheezy and get a newer one before you spend much time
debugging your copy of freeradius. At the very least, since you have a
system that works, but only after a long delay, use a better Debian
repository and upgrade to the latest stable release of Wheezy which is
v7.3. It is Very Stable and well worth the time spent on the download
it, IMHO.

Unfortunately for you, this response is from a Debian user who knows
nothing about freeradius and almost nothing about samba, but ... I'm
sure that the people who can help you with freeradius would much
prefer to work with you having your software at the current revision
level. OTOH, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your reference to testing
repository. If you have downloaded freeradius and samba4 from the
current testing in order to get the newer Jessie software, which is
newer than what ships with Wheezy, be aware that mix and match of
packages across major release boundary can lead to unfortunate
results. You should look for updates in the Wheezy-backports
repository.

Be aware that in USA this is Superbowl weekend. It is a very important
event here.

> "Failed to look up hostname <hostname>: ip_hton: Name or service not known"
>
> It works if i wait until the login prompt and start freeradius manual
>

> i assume i need to adapt the system to delay the startup from freeradius
> until samba is loaded

These sort of sequencing issues should be taken care of in the Debian
packaging of the software. If this is the cause of your problem, it is
a bug. (but only if you are using current packages from synchronized
repositories)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net