Re: Photovoltaic inverter monitoring or logging software

On 31/01/14 13:38, Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am wondering whether anyone on this list, has any knowledge or
> experience of software that runs on Linux, preferably Debian Linux, for
> monitoring/logging electricity output from a photovoltaic inverter.
>
> In searching in the Debian packages facility, the only package that I
> found, was solarpowerlog (0.23a-2), for Debian Linux v7, and the package
> is apparently for only Solarmax inverters.
>
> I am seeking software that will interface with Rewatt inverters, which
> apparently have an RS232 interface socket. The inverters come with a
> software disk, the supplied software apparently being for only MS Windows.

I'm not familiar with that inverter, but you should be able to get
general logging data from the port. If you're *very* lucky it'll have
telnet console.

Point Wireshark at the interface:-
# apt-get install wireshark wireshark-doc

Then take a look at pv:-
http://pv.codeplex.com/

Originally I looked at this:-
http://www.solarfreaks.com/cms2000-inverter-rs232-serial-port-hack-cms-2000-rs232-t271-160.html

but it's pretty dated now and may have changed.

Also:-
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/solar_software

You may also get some useful information from your local LUG:-
http://www.plug.org.au/

> I have recently been told information about photovoltaic systems, that
> increases my curiosity, increasing the incentive to have continuous
> monitoring of output.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> --
> Bret Busby