Re: Installing gconf

Le 28.01.2014 06:59, R. Vishnu a écrit :
Hi
I am new to debian, and I accidentally removed gconf2, so that I
could install gconf-service_3.2.6. But so many stuff got uninstalled
and now I cant access my desktop. No commands like dpkg, sudo etc are
working when the system boots to command line.
 How can I get back my desktop by reinstalling gconf.

With Regards

R. Vishnu
Research Scholar
Indian Institute of Technology Madras

It seems that you installed almost everything :)

But it is not a problem, you should be able to log with your root account, or to use $su command ( $ just mean that it can be done as a normal user. # means that the command need to be run with root rights. ). Then simply type "#apt-get install foo" where foo is the name of your package. Given your description of your problem, you probably want task-gnome-desktop.

If you want a better ( at least, more friendly ) interface in command line to install software, you can also use aptitude, which can be run as simple user or as root. Just note that, if you run it as normal user, you will need to use the menu to become root anyway.

Have fun and welcome to Debian :)