Re: how to remove ? directory

Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> François Patte:

>>> Please don't spread panic, when there is no need to panic.
>>
>> He doesn't spread any panic here: these ???? happen when a
>> directory/partition has been uncleanly unmounted and use of fsck is a
>> good suggestion...

> … and apparently also with this special directory as Sven wrote. I
> cannot reproduce that on my own machine but then I don't use Gnome a
> lot and I don't know when this directory was last used.

This weird output is normal for nearly all FUSE based file-systems which
allow access only to the user who started them. (See my encfs example in
the other mail.)

This also creeped me out when I first encountered this special case.

But if you think for a moment about the way Linux (or Unix in general)
handles mount points and that every time you mount a file system the
permissions and the owner of the directory onto which you mount said
filesystem will be replaced/overlayed by the permissions and owner of
the root-directory of the filesystem you mount.

The same happens with GVFS or EncFS, both FUSE based.

Any other user than the starting one is refused access and this also
means no information about the permissions and ownership of the
root-directory.

Thus the Linux kernel can only display ??? instead of real values.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.