Re: How can I secure a Debian installation?

On 29/01/14 01:18, Joe wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:58:22 +0000
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue 28 Jan 2014 at 09:46:43 +0000, Joe wrote:

<snipped>

> Good passwords, no. But most of the posts I've seen about hacked Linux
> installations where the point of entry was known seem to blame ssh,
> possibly because most private installations don't have any other
> internet-facing services.

>Somebody must be doing something wrong.

Enabling ssh password login *and* not using portknocking or at an
absolute minimum - fail2ban??
Possibly as the result of an ad-hoc approach to "security" (paint by
numbers) rather than a comprehensive approach based on a needs based
analysis.

Kind regards