Re: how to remove ? directory

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 10:27:45 lina wrote:
> On Tuesday 28,January,2014 06:19 PM, darkestkhan wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:16 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied
> >>
> >> d?????????   ? ?    ?          ?            ? .gvfs
> >>
> >> a# rm -rf .gvfs
> >> rm: cannot remove `.gvfs': Is a directory
> >>

> >> any advice, I think the .gvfs being introduced long time ago
> >> when I tried to mount the iphone.
> >>
> >> Thanks ahead for your advice,
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >
> > Seems like you don't have permissions to do this - I suspect you
> > are not owner of .gvfs. If so you would have to either remove as
> > root (for example using sudo rm) or to change owner and group
> > (chmod, chgrp, which you also have to do with root privileges in
> > this case).
> >
> >> a# rm -rf .gvfs
>
> You may notice I tried to be root before.

Try:
# cd .gvfs
# ls
to find out whether there are any more directories.
# cd <sub-directory>
When you get to the bottom of the tree,
# rm -rf *.*
but be _very_ careful that you are in the right place!
# cd ..
#rm <directory>
rinse and repeat, until there is nothing in the .gvfs directory
# cd ..
again
# rm .gvfs
There's probably a better way of doing it, but that works!!

Lisi