How to setup a simple email server?

I would like to setup a simple email server and run it out of my house. I have everything needed in order to do it. In fact I had one setup successfully about a year ago and crashed it. I can't figure out how I did it.

There's only two email addresses I would like to setup.

I would like to use postfix and dovecot; I don't need MySQL.

My ISP seems to block port 587; all other ports are open (25, 110, etc.)

I have issues wrapping my mind around setting up mx records.

The domain is registered on namecheap.com

My IP address is static ipv4.

I'm running (would like to keep running) Debian 6 32bit.

I've followed all the various guides that pull up in search; with each I run into problems I can't seem to resolve.

Can someone point me to a tutorial or provide me with some resources I can follow? I am very appreciative with any help willing to be offered. Thank you.