Re: apt conf

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM, james gray <kmzftq@gmail.com> wrote:

> #apt.conf
>
> the quandary: How to express Intel 64 bit processor for the Architecture and
> Architectures plural for the apt.conf file in Debian software speak.
>
> doing www-network search is just as dizzy.
>
> Architecture
>
> Architectures
>
> places i traveled to.
>
> /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz
>
> A portion of the example from file string above
>
> <!--
> // #apt {
> architecture “i386” ; // i386 is usually 32 bit Intel.
> architecture :amd64; // Intel or amd
> }
> -->
>
> the machine i am engaged with =  Intel 64 bit.
>
> Ivy Bridge i3-3110M 2.4 GHz
>
> from z reason in berkeley. good machine.
>
> #dpkg --print architecture
> amd64
>
> #lscpu
> x86_64

I don't really understand what you're trying to do. I assume that
you'd like to set the default architecture for dpkg/apt.

You can find out which architecture is the default one that's been set
up and which additional architectures have been set up with with "dpkg
--print-architecture" and "dpkg --print-foreign-architectures" (or
"apt-config dump | grep Architecture").

You can remove i386 (for example) with "dpkg --remove-architecture i386".

I've never done so, but you can also use "apt.conf" to set these
architectures with 'APT::Architecture "amd64";' and
'APT::Architectures "";'.